Save Ourselves Breast Cancer Organization
Save Ourselves' mission ensures that no one face breast cancer alone. We are a group of breast cancer survivors-turned-thrivers who reach out to those diagnosed with breast cancer. We provide individual and group support, hope, information and resources. We promote proactive participation in breast cancer treatment and recovery. We provide 108 psycho-educational support groups annually, 24-hour telephone support, monthly potlucks, and educational forums on breast cancer related topics.
4300 Auburn Blvd. Suite 201
Sacramento, CA 95841
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
In 1991, we began hosting monthly educational forums. In 1992, we trained our first group of breast cancer hotline volunteers. In 1993, we started the first of many support groups. We currently provide the following groups: early stage breast cancer, metastatic breast cancer (MBC), young women's (<40), lesbian, facing cancer with faith and a special 12-session survivorship group: Thriving beyond Surviving for those who are two or more years post treatment. In 2009, we launched our lingerie closet that is housed at UCD's Comprehensive Cancer Center. Here, breast cancer patients can help themselves to new mastectomy bras, wigs, turbans, hats, books, and more.
We also partner with UCD on various breast cancer related research projects. SOS is committed to reaching out to the under served through providing information at community health fairs and speaking to student from junior high through college-aged.
Our website needs sprucing up. We'd like to have an engaging website with professional web back-up, so that changes can be made promptly.
We need tri-fold brochures for medical offices. We need people who can distribute these on a regular basis.
Our top needs:
- Board Members - We need dynamic board members who are committed to bettering the lives of those with breast cancer.
- Funding: Program - We need funds to continue offering psychosocial support to the breast cancer community.
- Technology - We need a new interactive website/and timely web support.
- Technology - We need the equipment so that those who are too sick to attend could attend our groups electronically, perhaps with tablets.
- Volunteers - We need volunteers for a variety of things, including chairing our annual walks (April 22nd).