Sacramento Children's Museum
The mission of Sacramento Children's Museum is to spark a passion for life-long learning. We strive to be a place where children can be inspired, get creative and explore the possibilities in the world around them. We accomplish our mission by providing a place for children where they are encouraged to think for themselves, expand their problem-solving abilities through creative exploration, and exercise both their bodies and minds.
2701 Prospect Park Drive, Suite 120
Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
SCM serves families with young children. Our exhibits and programs teach aspects of school readiness, including socialization, motor skills, emotional language and communication development, and cognition. We've built an environment where learning is facilitated through exploration and hands-on activities, where it's exciting and enriching for children and their families and where young children explore the world around them in new ways.
Funding for exhibit design, development and installation is another important need. An increased budget for exhibit design and development would allow us to updated existing and add new exhibits at a faster rate. Exhibit spaces are the heart of the museum and we strive to offer our visitors a unique experience, but one that changes and grows with the need of our community. Finally, SCM needs to increase the number of unrestricted donations from individual donors to support the day to day operations of the museum and our mission to spark a passion for life-long learning.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Unrestricted - SCM needs unrestricted funding to support museum operations and our mission to spark a passion for life-long learning. Community support is key to our success!
- Funding: Program - SCM offers educational programming every day we are open. Our programs include Science Sundays, Story times, Yoga Play, Cultural Connections, Music and Movement, Creative Art Class and Sound Explorers. Program funding provides supplies and curriculum development for new and existing programs.
- Funding: Program - SCM also needs funding for our more involved and audience specific programming - ExplorAbility, Beary Special Play Date and the Museum Access Program. ExplorAbility is a free program for children on the autism spectrum, the only one of it's kind in the area. Beary Special is a free, after hours play date for children with special needs and their families. And the Museum Access Program provides free, yearly memberships for low-income or military families.
- Funding: Unrestricted - SCM needs unrestricted funding for exhibit design, development and installation. Permanent and temporary exhibits are at the heart of the museum and funding is always needed to help build and design the next big thing!
- Board Members - SCM is looking to expand our Board of Directors. An ideal board member should be passionate about our mission to spark a passion for life-long learning and not afraid to have fun!
"Sacramento Children's Museum (SCM) is hands-on, interactive learning environment for children from birth to age eight. We promote social skills development and introduces the concepts of science, technology, engineering, art, reading, and math to our young visitors through play. Our mission is to spark a passion for life-long learning. We are the only children's museum in the area and are a place where children can be inspired, get creative and explore their surroundings.
Sacramento Children's Museum is more than statistics and numbers but to give you an idea of how many people we serve and the variety of our programs, I've selected a few stats to share with you. SCM has more than 1,200 active member families and sees 100,000 visitors per year. In 2018, 110 field trips visited the museum, SCM brought the Van Go! mobile museum program 106 classrooms, 295 children took our Yoga Play class, 400 children with autism attended our ExplorAbility program, and 40 families received free access to the museum all year long through the Museum Access Program. Our ability to provide classes and programming, offer free passes and memberships, and serve children with special needs all depends on help from donors and our community. To put it simply, SCM could not do what we do without the support of people who recognize the value a children's museum brings to not only our region but the families and young children in our area.
SCM is committed to being an integral part of early childhood development for the children of the Sacramento region. Our programs and exhibits are designed to promote socialization and introduce the concepts of science, technology, engineering, art, literacy and math to our young visitors through play. Museum staff and volunteers work to create an exciting, happy and inclusive space for all young children and their families. SCM values each visitor and hopes to inspire every child to be creative and explore the world around them!"
Thank you for your support,
Director of Museum Advancement
Sacramento Children's Museum
-- Meghan Toland, Director of Museum Advancement