Built in 1885, the original Opera House burned down in the 1892 fire that destroyed much of downtown Woodland. It was rebuilt on the same site, using some of the remaining foundations and bricks from the walls, reopening in 1896. WOH became the stopping place for such performers as the great Polish actress Madame Helen Modjeska, John Philip Sousa and his band, comics Weber and Fields, George M. Cohan's troupe, 'Gentleman Jim' Corbett and John L. Sullivan (who appeared in theatrical production followed by exhibitions of 'Fistcuffs') and such up and coming young motion picture stars as Sidney Greenstreet, Walter Huston and Verna Felton. Over 300 touring companies had appeared on its stage by 1913, when, due to the encroachment of motion pictures in the valley and partly as a result of a lawsuit over an injury the Opera House was closed and remained boarded up until 1971. The Yolo County Historical Society purchased the building in 1971 to ensure that it did not fall to the wrecking ball and bulldozer. Declared a state historical park in 1976, the Historical Society gave the property to the State of California in 1980 and in 1981 the restoration began.
California State Historic Landmark #851, reopened in January of 1989 after a seven-year, $2,000,000+ restoration project. For the first time in nearly eight decades, the venerable brick building in the heart of California's fertile Sacramento Valley began to offer live entertainment on a year-round basis. From its first season beginning in the fall of 1989, WOH Theatre Company has consistently captured regional Elly and Local Chesley theater nominations and awards. The WOH is made up of volunteer actors and technicians from throughout the area-some commuting up to 70 miles to perform. WOH mounts five Mainstage productions and three Theatre for Families productions from August to June, a youth summer theater camp, youth performance workshops, and a comprehensive Drama and Dance Education Program serving 300 children throughout the year.
During the restoration, the building was made structurally safe and 'earthquake proofed'. Central heat and Air-conditioning, a sprinkler and alarm system, and handicap access were added. An annex was built to house the mechanical equipment necessary for the above and for administrative office space, a will call counter, the Mid Level Lounge and rooftop exterior deck. In 1990, with the help of the Woodland Rotary Club, the south side grassy 'Rotary Court' was added to compliment the City's Heritage Plaza. The interior of the Opera House has been painstakingly restored to the grandeur it enjoyed at the turn of the century. Careful attention was paid to reproduction of the wallpaper friezes, paint colors, and carpeting. The main floor carpet was manufactured in England and shipped to the Opera House for installation. Comfortable main floor theater seating was built on the East Coast for installation and the historic pew-like benches in the balcony area were repaired or carefully replaced.
The building is owned by the State of California, but management is by a professional staff hired by the Woodland Opera House Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees is made up of arts lovers, theatre buffs, historians, and businesspersons. Although the building is owned by the State of California, it receives no financial support from the state, the county, or the city. WOH is completely self-sufficient. The WOH brings in 50% of the total income, other programming and rental brings in about 15%, fundraising totals another 15% and the remainder of the budget is balanced with donations, corporate underwriting, foundation grants, etc. WOH is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1971), inventory of Historic Sites in Yolo County (1972), was on the Historic American Building Survey (1966) and listed in the Woodland Historical Zone (1971). Named California Registered Historical Landmark #851 in 1973, the Opera House was made a state historical park in 1976, even though no park rangers are on the premises.
The Woodland Opera House has enjoyed continued success in its mission to preserve and operate this historical, community treasure for the benefit of the area and to nurture performing arts. Our Theatre for Families and Education Program is dedicated to providing young people, their families, and the community with a quality performing arts experience that encourages young performers to develop confidence, creativity, and cooperation.
Production Underwriting: $5,000 for plays, $7,000 for musicals, and $5,000 for the Summer Theatre Camp.
Season Sponsorship: $1,000 - $4,000 levels. Season sponsors receive recognition in playbills and posters and complimentary tickets.
Circle of Friends: $25+. Our circle of friends helps us to ensure the preservation of our historic facility and the high quality of productions associated with it.
Permanent Endowment Fund Gifts: Gifts of cash, stock, memorials, and bequests to our Endowment Fund provide funds for maintenance and preservation of our historic facility.
Guild Membership: The Woodland Opera House Guild is an organization of volunteers who provide our theatre with ushers, concession sales, docents for tours of our historic facility, and hold fundraising events.
The Mission Of Woodland Opera House, Inc.
To Preserve And Operate The Historic Woodland Opera House, A California State Treasure, For The Benefit Of The Region And To Nurture Performing Arts.
The Woodland Opera House does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, expression of gender, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provisions of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, contractors, vendors, and patrons.