Land Conservation & Stewardship: SVC works hard to protect Sacramento valley's most precious and unique landscapes stretching from the Central California Delta to the Sierra foothills and up to the Sutter Buttes. We acquire, steward, and hold conservation easements on over 18,000 acres of land, but our work is far from done. As the region quickly changes, we are working diligently to protect and preserve the farms and ranchland, vernal pools, waterways, and historical resources that make the Sacramento region unique. Our 21st century plan is to add a thirteen-mile long connected open space corridor from Deer Creek Hills Preserve off of Jackson Highway to the American River Parkway at Prairie City Road; protection of this 10,000-acre corridor is essential for wildlife migration in East Sacramento County.
Land Management & Public Access: SVC manages Deer Creek Hills, Sacramento County's largest open space preserve at 4,600 acres, and Camp Pollock, the 11-acre gem of the American River Parkway. Each year we serve more than 10,000 visitors, host 250 outings and more than 30 clean-up days. Our dedicated core of 60 docents and five staff members manage the outings, events, and reservations.
Youth Education and Stewardship Program: SVC is dedicated to teaching and inspiring the youth of today to be tomorrow's stewards of the environment. Each year SVC provides discounted event space for educational outings and hosts more than 3,300 youth from various program partnerships with schools, scouts, and youth programs. Nearly 5,000 people came to our properties to learn about stewardship, adding up to roughly 20,000 hours of hands-on learning experience in the outdoors.
Volunteerism: With more than 18,000 acres to monitor and maintain, SVC is always in need of volunteers. Whether you want to mow the lawn at Camp Pollock, repair the fence at Deer Creek Hills, share information at a community event, or lend a hand with administrative office tasks, we can put your time and talents to good use! Please also contact us if you are interested in helping with special events, coordinating a service day, joining our board of directors, or becoming a docent.
- Tractor, ride on mower, Weed Wackers, tools for invasive species removal.
- Services and materials for a full renovation of the Camp Pollock Lodge kitchen.
- Garden and nursery supplies for the Camp Pollock Native Plant Nursery and demonstration garden.
- Six-month port-a-let rental.
- Gift cards for any amount: OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples, Costco, REI, Home Depot, Amazon, gas stations, Lowes, Target, or others to use in fundraising auctions.
- Local performance groups interested in performing at Camp Pollock.
- Electrical, plumbing and contracting services at Camp Pollock.
- Garden Wagons (new or used) for hauling materials and camp gear at Camp Pollock.