The mission of Next Move is to assist to families with children and individuals toward self reliance.
2925 34th Street
Sacramento, CA 95817
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
Next Move (formerly Sacramento Area Emergency Housing Center) is a profound force in moving homeless families and individuals to self-sufficiency and self-reliance. Started as a Family Shelter program in 1972 to meet the basic needs of seven homeless families, the agency now serves an average of 500 people each day. At first, our mission was to provide shelter to help ease people out of homelessness. But, as our clients' needs have changed, we too have had to grow our services to meet these changing needs. Our expanded services include providing individual success plans, self-sufficiency workshops and groups on living skills, parenting, budgeting, housing, health and mental health care, housing relocation assistance, employment readiness and community support services. Next Move's shelters, temporary housing, and permanent housing, bolstered by an ever-growing list of services, continues to make visible and measurable changes in people's lives.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Unrestricted - Next Move's most pressing needs are funding/donations that will help cover operating costs for our emergency shelter programs and program improvements. All donor contributions are funneled directly into programs that house and support families.
- Funding: Program - Our Community Resource Center is a place for families and individuals who are experiencing homelessness and extreme poverty to pick up clothing, shoes, and other household items free of charge. We also provide resource referral assistance.
- Funding: Program - Francis House Center's Family Rescue Program: This program provides temporary emergency housing in a motel with supportive services to families with dependent children or who are pregnant in their last trimester.
- Funding: Program - Supportive Housing Programs: We support the basic needs of individuals and families experiencing homelessness as they enter our programs. An estimated $15,000 is needed to provide for our clients in 2017.
- In-Kind Donations - Donation of gently used or new furniture and household goods. Material goods donated instead of monetary donation.
"For more than 40 years, Next Move has served thousands of men, women, and children in the Sacramento community and surrounding areas by providing not only shelter, but also food, housing assistance, employment training, youth services, mental health, AOD, and other vital services that aim to get families off of the street and back into a home. Next Move is proud to continue its efforts to be an agent of change and hope in the area and happily wears it badge as an inclusive organization that accepts all family-types with children. As Next Move looks ahead another 40 years, we hope to serve thousands more and provide that crucial first step into resiliency for everyone that comes through our doors, while expanding our capacity in the future to accommodate more families and women in crisis. With your support, there is no telling how much we can do!" Next Move Administration