Friends of Adult Day Health Care
Friends of Adult Day Health Care is committed to promoting the health, dignity, and independence of frail older and disabled adults, and their caregivers by supporting Yolo Adult Day Health Center through fundraising and community awareness.
P.O. Box 1964
Woodland, CA 95776
|County or Parish:||Yolo County|
|Primary NTEE:||Health Care|
|Sub NTEE:||Fund Raising & Fund Distribution|
In 1990, with the assistance of a grant from the California Department of Aging, a specialized program was developed to better serve individuals with Alzheimer's Disease or other related dementias. The initial partnership that established the Center continues to support it today. It is a three way partnership between Friends, the Yolo County Health Department, and Dignity Health who has been managing the program since 1998. Each has a specific role where Friends assists with community fundraising and education, Yolo County manages the building and maintains the license and Dignity Health manage patients care. After 31 years of operation, Yolo Adult Day Health Center continues to successfully meet its goals and operate in the warm community spirit put forth by the founders.
- Ensure equipment needed in the nurses station, therapy room, kitchen, and throughout the Center, is in good condition and replaced as needed to insure participant safety ($5,000/year)
- Assist YADHC with developing and implementing alternative programming and space to meet the increasing needs for adult day programs. The Center currently has a waiting list of over ninety individuals in need of adult day services, and the list grows larger every year ($100,000)
- Develop a Caregiver Support Program to assist the over 1,000 older caregivers in Yolo County struggling with the management of caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's Disease and other dementias and its difficult behaviors ($25,000/year)
- Provide funding for artistic, musical and other therapeutic programs and activities which are specific to participants interest and needs ($5,000/year)
- Develop a volunteer program that taps into valuable community resources of students, retirees, and others seeking opportunities to give back ($8,000/year)
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - Friends of Adult Day Health Care (Friends) primarily raises funds for the Yolo Adult Day Health Center (Center). Funds raised have been used to renovate the building housing the Center, purchase vehicles to transport participants to and from the Center, physical therapy equipment, nursing supplies, and other necessary equipment needed to support our frail and elderly participants. We also help fund special programs such as music and art therapy and in special cases, have covered the cost for individuals to attend the Center. Friends requires a source of new and generous donors who understand both the health benefits and the practical advantages adult day health care programs provide to both participants and caregivers. This means we are constantly searching for new donors because the demand for services continues to grow.
- Volunteers - The Board of Friends is a small, but highly dedicated all-volunteer group. We are always in the need of volunteers either to join the Board or to help with specific fund raising events, such as Big Day of Giving. Friends could benefit from individuals with back grounds in fund raising, marketing, social media, and who possess the ability to attract new donors and supporters.
- Board Members - We have nine active Board members and would always welcome additional dedicated and passionate members. New Board members with back grounds in accounting, marketing, social media expertise, and fund raising would help us immensely as we continue on our mission to support adult day health care.
- Technology - Friends maintains a website, a Facebook page, and a Twitter account. We would welcome expertise from those in the social media field to help us maintain these sites and create new sites for us, such as in Instagram and Constant Contact. Other professional services which would help us create videos and other marketing advertisements would be very much appreciated.
- Space: Office or Other - Friends has never had a dedicated office space or building. For almost 35 years, Friends has met in borrowed rooms and files are stored at individuals houses and computers. Though awkward, the situation has not impeded our determination or our success. Having a dedicated space to file hard copies; an answering machine; and an office computer would be a first for our organization.
Please read more about our organization and learn more about the Center and the people we support. I think you will be amazed that our dedicated group has been able to accomplish so much with so little. We are entering into our thirty-third year as a group who is deeply committed to providing a sensible alternative to traditional health care. By supporting the Center, we are helping to promote independence and well being for our community's frail adults struggling to stay at home and out of nursing homes and hospitals. That's what keeps me motivated: working with this talented group and knowing that we help make a difference. You too, can make a difference. Please help us support adult day health care and the Center with a donation today."
Brian K. Garlick
Friends of Adult Day Health Care