The Central Downtown Food Closet started in 1983 by the collaboration of four Sacramento area congregations: St. John's Lutheran Church, Fremont Presbyterian Church, Westminster Presbyterian Church and Congregation B'nai Israel. CDFC was located at 1214 17th Street and was one of many agencies that belonged to and received food from the Interfaith Service Bureau. In 1987, CDFC went out on its own with the support of thirteen area congregations and began picking up their food from the Senior Gleaners. On April 26, 1995 Mr. Bill Jones, then The Secretary of State, granted The Central Downtown Food Closet the request to change its name to The Central Downtown Food Basket. In 2003, the State of California took over the property at 1214 17th Street and the rest of the block to build the Department of General Services and Education. CDFB then chose to become a mobile food distribution and has been so for the past 13 years. This has been very successful for CDFB, with six locations currently and looking to expand in 2017-18. CDFB has also increased its food education and fresh produce programs as well as reaching out to schools that need help with food insecurity. We are currently running a successful pop-up pantry program at CSUS (Sacramento State University) with those students having a hard time obtaining food due to high student loans. CDFB has been working to feed those in need with "Dignity and Respect" for over 33 years and looks to continue its mission in reaching and helping the food insecure for years to come.