A Touch of Understanding, Inc.
A Touch of Understanding's mission is to encourage acceptance and respect for all individuals and to minimize the discrimination, bullying, and misunderstanding experienced by children and adults who are perceived as different for any reason, but especially for those with disabilities.
5280 Stirling Street, Suite 102
Granite Bay, CA 95746
|County or Parish:||Placer County|
In the Sacramento region, about 11% of school age children have physical disabilities (vision, hearing, orthopedic, brain trauma, etc.) and over 17% of students have either an intellectual disability or autism. Overall, 12% of California's school age students received special education services. Students demonstrate an improvement in attitudes and behavior towards people with a disability as a result of our in-school workshops. The schools we work with report a reduction in bullying and other anti-social behaviors. Students who have suffered persecution and exclusion from their classmates find themselves included and respected as never before. Most importantly, these changes are deep and long-lasting because they originate within the hearts of the students themselves through their own personal experience, rather than being handed down as instruction from an adult.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - 1. Schools are only able to pay about half of what it cost for a school workshop. We rely on donations, fundraising, and grants to make up for the other half. $600 pays teh portion the school cannot pay, and provides one workshop for 40 students.
- Funding: Unrestricted - Funding for capacity building to increase staff, space, and vehicles in order to meet the growing need for our program locally and beyond
- Volunteers - 8-10 volunteers are needed to successfully staff each workshop. Each workshop consists of 3-4 volunteers with disabilities, as speakers, and then an additional 4-6 volunteers to assist with activity stations. We also utilize volunteers in our office for a variety of tasks including but not limited to: IT help, filing and office projects, fundraisers, etc.
- In-Kind Donations - Office supplies, raffle and auction items, gift cards, food for events and meetings
- Technology - IT support and help