American Red Cross Gold Country Region
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
1565 Exposition Blvd.
Sacramento, CA 95815
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
The humanitarian mission of the American Red Cross connects us to people and communities across the nation and around the world. The common bonds of humanity and compassion unite us together, not just in the face of emergencies and disasters, but in helping our neighbors every day. Since being founded by Clara Barton in 1881, the Red Cross has been a consistent lifeline for people when they need us the most. The depth and breadth of our services - whenever and wherever they are called for - is unmatched by any organization in the world. To learn more about our history, visit www.RedCross.org/about-us/history.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors, and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that ... all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter, and hope; ... our communities are ready and prepared for disasters; ... everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products; ... all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; ... in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives. The American Red Cross is not a government organization and relies on the generosity of donors and volunteers in order to provide emergency services throughout Gold Country Region communities and around the country.
Our top needs:
Our top needs:
- Funding: Unrestricted - Day to day work at the Red Cross is unpredictable. We are in need of unrestricted funds that can go to wherever they are most needed.
- Funding: Program - If Red Cross disaster work touches your heart, please donate specifically to disaster relief. The Red Cross has provided more services: overnight stays, meals and mental health services in the last six months than in the last 5 years. We are currently replenishing our supplies and updating our fleet.
- Volunteers - Volunteers are the heart of the Red Cross, making up 96% of our workforce. We are always in need of hardworking and dedicated volunteers.
- Board Members - The Red Cross partners with a variety of large and community based organizations. We are always looking for passionate and influential community leaders to join our Board and help spread the Red Cross mission.
- Funding: Program - Every 90 seconds, a home catches fire in the U.S. You can help make sure those who are struck live to tell about it. Your financial gift will allow us to purchase smoke alarms, for our canvassing efforts, which will ultimately save lives and reduce injuries.
When large disasters strike the country, one of the first organizations you hear about is the American Red Cross. Volunteers descend on the impacted areas from across the country and work to help those who have been affected. What many are surprised to learn is how much work the Red Cross does on a daily basis, beyond the large disasters. Nationally, Red Cross volunteers are responding to an emergency every 8 minutes. That is an average of nearly 70,000 disaster responses each year! Here in the 24-county Gold Country Region, volunteers respond to a local disaster once every 8 hours - on average - providing for emergency needs such as shelter, food, clothing, and emotional support to those impacted. In an effort to reduce the occurrence of disasters and lessen the impacts, volunteers work tirelessly to help communities get better prepared for emergency situations. Volunteer instructors throughout the Region conduct health and safety training, such as CPR and First Aid, providing critical skills that can help save lives. With our Sound the Alarm program, we are canvassing high-risk communities and installing smoke alarms in homes. Through Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces, we are also ensuring that active duty and retired military members and their families have the support and resources they need here at home and abroad. We are proud to provide such a wide range of services to such a diverse territory which extends across one-third of California. Thanks to the tireless efforts of our volunteers and the support of our donors, we are able to bring comfort and hope when and where it's needed. Thank you for your compassion and continued support! - Gary Strong, CEO American Red Cross Gold Country Region