Acme Theatre Company
Our mission is to present plays of high literary quality while providing opportunities for young people to learn acting and technical theatre skills through peer and adult mentorship in an environment of mutual trust, respect, and responsibility. We value learning through doing - Acme Theater Company is run by ninth through twelfth-grade students, with mentorship provided by a small cadre of adults.
PO Box 159
Davis, CA 95617
|County or Parish:||Yolo County|
Acme produces three mainstage theatrical productions and several smaller events each year. In addition, every summer, Acme's members organize and teach a series of drama classes for approximately 75 K-8 students in Davis. In Acme's summer drama classes, K-8 participants are exposed to all aspects of theatre production and have an introduction to the kind of responsibility and accountability that Acme participation demands. The company's theatrical operations are accomplished entirely by the young people themselves with the mentorship of a small cadre of adults. This mandate for youth leadership, which has always been the hallmark of Acme, is what gives the company its unique value. Teens who participate in Acme don't just learn to act or to design and make costumes, build sets, hang lights, or create publicity. They learn to work as a team towards a common goal and to be accountable themselves and the company as a whole. The success of every production is entirely up to the young people themselves.
For nearly 40 years, Acme has provided Davis youth in-depth training in theatrical and life skills. This program has always been available at absolutely no cost to the high school company members and their families. Acme is financially sustained through ticket sales for performances, fees paid by parents of K-8 students who attend the Drama Camp program, individual donations, fundraiser events, corporate sponsorship, and grant funding.
- Financial Contributions: Acme's 2016 budget is $71,336 which needs to grow to approximately $100,000 over the next year. This increase is driven by two factors:
1. The need to raise the Artistic Director's compensation to a competitive level
2. The dramatically rising costs of rehearsal, performance, and instructional space. Acme has earned income from ticket sales and fees from an annual series of summer drama classes for K-8 students. However, those sources are already near maximum.
- Board Members and Other Volunteers: Acme is a student led and operated company with only one employee, an Artistic Director who mentors the students. There is also "behind the scenes" support from board members and other volunteers in fund raising, financial and risk management, and policy development. Acme seeks volunteers who have skills in these areas and, MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, a passionate commitment to Acme's core value of youth leading all aspects of theatre production.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Unrestricted - Acme seeks funding to allow our theatrical productions and youth-led learning to continue!
- Volunteers - Acme seeks adult volunteers with skills in fund raising.
- Board Members - Acme seeks board members who have skills in the areas of fund raising, financial and risk management, and policy development and, MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, a passionate commitment to Acme's core value of youth leading all aspects of theatre production.
- Space: Office or Other - We are seeking a permanent rehearsal and performance space!
- In-Kind Donations - We appreciate donations of: working power tools and sewing machines, costumes, and copy paper.