Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance
The Sacramento Area Regional Theatre Alliance is an alliance of producing organizations, individual theatre artists and technicians, and administrators formed to foster and promote high quality theatre and arts education in the Sacramento area and neighboring regions.
PO Box 162566
Sacramento, CA 95816
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
|Primary NTEE:||Arts,Culture & Humanities|
|Sub NTEE:||Alliances & Advocacy|
SARTA inherited the Elly awards from the then co-founders Robert Kelly, Miriam Gray and Jeanne Runyon in 1986. The Elly Awards are now entering their 36th year and SARTA has been producing two separate ceremonies - one for Youth and one for Adults since 2012 (30th anniversary). In 1982, there were only 15 judges in three categories - Comedy, Drama, and Musicals - and 27 awards were given out. There are now 30 plus volunteer Elly judges who are responsible for viewing all the shows in one of six categories. An Elly coordinator/tabulator electronically tracks over 200 show submissions annually from 70 participating theatres. Current categories include Comedy, Drama, Education, Musicals, Original Scripts - Adult, Original Scripts - Youth, Young People's - Musicals & Plays, and Children's Theatre Productions. Both Elly ceremonies include musical performances from nominated shows and utilize youth and adult nominees and past winners as presenters, plaque carriers, ushers, and house and backstage volunteers. Today over 90 Elly awards plaques are distributed in total. Tickets are sold to each ceremony to help offset the cost of the ceremony. SARTA offers reduced ticket prices for Elly nominees, SARTA members and groups of ten or more.
Since 2009, SARTA has been represented by an all-volunteer board of five women. All board members hold down full-time jobs while being active board participants. Leveraging the advantage of online processes such as email, website, Paypal, online banking, online membership processing, Elly awards judging portal and 3rd party ticketing vendors, has allowed our small organization to survive during the recession and to thrive during the economic rebound. More time can be spent on face-to-face activities such as SARTA member and donor cultivation, SARTA workshops, volunteer appreciation receptions, member networking events, Elly Award Ceremony planning, and Big Day of Giving.
Additionally, SARTA board members are encouraged to participate in other community activities from coordinating a clothing drive for WEAVE to having a booth at the annual Lenaea High School theatre festival to participating in the local Arden Arcade business networking, to helping local theatres with costume reorganization and front of house needs.
Since 2010, the SARTA board has created a Lifetime Achievement Award which is announced at Youth and/or Adult Elly Award ceremony. This award is given to those community theatre members that have shown exemplary commitment to fostering the promotion of community theatre in the local and regional Sacramento area. Past recipients have included Cheryl Watson, Jan and Steve Isaacson - Davis Musical Theatre Company, Janis Stevens, Rodger McDonald, Ray Tatar, the late Mitch Agruss, Rodger Hoopman, Connie Mockenhaupt, James Wheatley, Ed Claudio, Ron Cisneros and the late Boots Martin. Since 2003, SARTA has been operating with an all volunteer board and since 2009 SARTA has been successfully operating without paid office staff due to the leveraging of technologies such as email, website, webportals, paypal, and email marketing (Constant Contact). SARTA moved into new office space in Sacramento county in March 2015 and can now hold board meetings, Elly judge trainings, mini-workshops, small mixers, Big Day of Giving events and networking events in the expansive new space.
Our top needs:
- Volunteers - The Elly Judging program is always in need of volunteer judges. Elly judges must commit to one year, have their own car, and access to a computer for scoring purposes. Training is provided. Theatres provide two complimentary tickets to show. SARTA is also looking for volunteer board members to assist with the day to day running of a non-profit organization plus assist with numerous events. Board members must make a minimum commitment of two years and must also make a financial commitment. (Est cost - your time and effort)
- Technology - SARTA would like to engage in more social media marketing and would like the entire board to attend a targeted training program to include use of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. SARTA would also like instruction in making videos to promote our programming and events on You Tube (Est cost - $500)
- Funding: Program - Become a Gold, Silver or Bronze sponsor of either the Youth Elly Awards or the Adult Elly Awards. Sponsorship includes name recognition on all collateral, free tickets to the event, announcement of support at event and behind-the-scene tours. It may even include your change to announce the names of Elly nominees and winners. (Estimated cost - $1000-$5000)
- In-Kind Donations - Donations of food and drink (or gift cards for such) for programs and events are always needed. Basic office supplies including paper, postage stamps, manila folders, 9x12 envelopes and legal pads are always appreciated. General cleaning supplies such as hand soap, clorox wipes, windex, paper towels and toilet paper are always needed. (Est Cost - $10-100) Your donations of usable scripts will be incorporated into our script library and then onto the SARTA website at www.sarta.com.
- Furniture - Need for livable space - Additional bookshelves for recently donated scripts (Estimated Cost - $200) and folding chairs for workshops and meetings/mixers/receptions (Estimated Cost - $20/chair).
SARTA Board President.