|Address:||PO Box 162566 |
Sacramento, CA 95816
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
|Primary NTEE:||Arts,Culture & Humanities|
|Sub NTEE:||Alliances & Advocacy|
There are now 30 plus volunteer Elly judges who are responsible for viewing all the shows in one of six categories. An Elly coordinator/tabulator electronically tracks over 200 show submissions annually from 70 participating theatres. Current categories include Comedy, Drama, Education, Musicals, Original Scripts - Adult, Original Scripts - Youth, Young People's - Musicals & Plays, and Children's Theatre Productions. Both Elly ceremonies include musical performances from nominated shows and utilize youth and adult nominees and past winners as presenters, plaque carriers, ushers, and house and backstage volunteers. Over 90 Elly awards plaques are distributed in total. Tickets are sold to each ceremony to help offset the cost of the ceremony. SARTA offers reduced ticket prices for Elly nominees, SARTA members and groups of ten or more.
Since 2010, the SARTA board has created a Lifetime Achievement Award which is announced at the Adult Elly Award ceremony. This award is given to those community theatre members that have shown exemplary commitment to fostering the promotion of community theatre in the local and regional Sacramento area. Past recipients have included Janis Stevens, Rodger McDonald, Ray Tatar, the late Mitch Agruss, Rodger Hoopman, Connie Mockenhaupt, James Wheatley, Ed Claudio, Ron Cisneros and the late Boots Martin. Since 2003, SARTA has been operating with an all volunteer board and since 2009 SARTA has been successfully operating without paid office staff due to the leveraging of technologies such as email, website, webportals, paypal, and email marketing (Constant Contact). SARTA moved into new office space in Sacramento county in March 2015 and can now hold board meetings, Elly judge trainings, mini-workshops, small mixers, and networking nights in the expansive new space.
Our top needs:
- Volunteers - The Elly Judging program is always in need of volunteer judges. Elly judges must commit to one year, have their own car, and access to a computer for scoring purposes. Training is provided. Theatres provide two complimentary tickets to show.
- Technology - SARTA would like a major website update to make it more interactive, and theatre-goer friendly. We would like to incorporate more photos/videos for shows, expand the talent database and add an audition portal and calendar. (Estimated cost is $1500)
- Funding: Program - Need to keep successful programs supported: Financial support in the form of underwriting for long-time programs like the Elly Awards (Estimated cost - $2000-$4000) and adding new programs like workshops and networking mixers.
- In-Kind Donations - Donations of food and drink (or gift cards for such) for programs and events are always needed. Basic office supplies and cleaning supplies are always appreciated. Water, snacks, office supplies, and cleaning supplies are always welcome.
- Furniture - Need for livable space - Additional bookshelves for recently donated scripts (Estimated Cost - $200) and folding chairs for workshops and meetings/mixers/receptions (Estimated Cost - $20/chair).
Additionally, SARTA board members are encouraged to participate in other community activities from answering phones at KVIE to coordinating a clothing drive for WEAVE to having a booth at the annual Lenaea High School theatre festival.