River City Chorale
The River City Chorale's mission is to bring a variety of fine choral music at the lowest possible cost to the broadest possible audiences, including retirees and those on fixed incomes. The River City Chorale strives to enhance vocal arts in the region, provide volunteer support to other community nonprofits, and bring recognition to Sacramento by performing an international concert tour every three years.
6925 Waterview Way
Sacramento, CA 95831
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
A small orchestra of visiting musicians accompanies the holiday concerts in December. A three piece combo plays with the singers for the Pops Concert shows in March, and a professional pianist (who is also the rehearsal accompanist) plays for the spring concerts. The Chorale sings all styles of music, from baroque to contemporary, from classical cantatas to popular Broadway tunes and medleys. Membership is open to all adults, subject to audition and the needs of each vocal section. Each member pays $175 per year in dues, for the privilege of singing with the organization. Paying their own way, Chorale members have been performing internationally every third year since 1983.
Tours have taken the Chorale to Canada, the British Isles, Brazil, Ireland, and four countries in Western Europe. The River City Chorale operates on a modest budget of approximately $60,000 per year, relying on revenue from membership dues, ticket sales, fundraisers, advertisements in printed programs, and donations. The Board contracts annually for the services of a musical director, piano accompanist, and webmaster. The Chorale has no office and no paid administrative staff. Chorale members volunteer to serve on the board of directors and various committees to handle all administrative duties. The members of the Chorale donate over 3,000 hours of volunteer time per fiscal year. According to Independent Sector, volunteer time to nonprofits in 2014 was valued at $23.07 per hour. Based on that figure, RCC members donate over $69,000 worth of volunteer hours each year.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - Concert underwriters: The cost per concert set is ~ $17,000. We perform three concert 'sets' annually: three Holiday performances, two Pops Concerts, and two Spring concerts.
- Funding: Other - Marketing and publicity services: For 41 years, we have relied on volunteer services of members to market and publicize the River City Chorale. We have an average of 60 members, only a couple of whom have professional background in these fields. It is difficult to find volunteer members willing to commit to these services year after year.
- Funding: Other - Sponsorship of visiting instrumentalists to accompany the Chorale: Approximately $7,070 of our $55,335 annual budget (13.0%) goes toward paying professional orchestra and band musicians to enhance our choral performances.
- Space: Office or Other - Storage for our music library: We have thousands of pieces of music that need to be in storage units that are climate-controlled, secure, and easily accessible. We currently pay $3,000 per year to rent two storage units.
- Funding: Other - Accounting services: We rely on one of 55-60 members to serve as RCC Treasurer. It is very difficult to find a volunteer with the computer (Quickbooks) accounting, and tax-filing skills to fill this position. Our treasurer volunteers about 130 hours per year. One firm offered to provide accounting and tax-filing services for $3,000/year.