Explorit Science Center
'To ignite and foster curiosity about science and nature through inquiry and discovery.'
Explorit's mission is achieved by providing onsite and traveling school based programs that engage students, parents and families in STEAM (science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics) learning through hands-on, minds-on activities.
P.O. Box 1288
Davis, CA 95617
|County or Parish:||Yolo County|
|Sub NTEE:||Primary & Elementary Schools|
A little history! Founded in 1982 by local citizens, this home grown experiment was conceived as a cutting edge model of public exposure to science. It was a different breed of science center at a time when other types of science centers were focused primarily on the observation of scientific phenomena through formal demonstrations or traditional museum 'hands-off' installations. At Explorit, we focus on personal involvement in the process of science and nature. Our vision is embodied in the use, by both children and adults, of every day materials to discover the mostly unnoticed, unappreciated science processes that make our everyday world work.
Explorit has a particular style, developed and matured over 36 years in response to the expressed and demonstrated needs and interests of Explorit's audience as well as to the capabilities of the staff and facility in which Explorit operates. Over the last five years, K-12 programs have aligned specifically with and highlighted the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), which in large, part reflect the style and approach Explorit has fostered since 1982.
Our program content encompass the following goals:
'Let's use open-ended hands-on experiences.'
'Let's re-integrate the sciences into the arts, humanities and everyday living to reflect on the real world.'
'Let's reach out to other communities.'
'Let's include families.'
'Let's do science for all ages.'
'Let's share our enthusiasm that science IS fun!'
'Let's use familiar and available materials.'
A note on our program history. Three decades of successful experience has shown that the most effective, feasible and practical way to provide quality, inspirational, science experiences to under-served students and families is through our traveling programs, which reach 20,000 elementary kids and their families at schools in 17 counties. These programs include popular day-time, "Classroom Adventures" in-class science topics as well as our unique "Family Science Nights" that fill multipurpose rooms with exciting hands on activities on science ("Science in Your World" and "Green World Healthy People") and our newly developed environmentally oriented "Green World Healthy People" evening program. But our current funding base still leaves many schools without the opportunity to support STEM programs.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - Bring science to kids now!! We're seeking $20,000 for classroom program in underserved schools and provide STEM experiences to over 2,000 elementary school students. Each $500 will support programs for Explorit programs in three classes with our signature hands-on topics including "Simple Machines", "Amazing Animals", "Ecosystems and Biomes", "Earths Features". Each $1,000 raised will support an entire evening of "Family Science Nights" and one of our two topics "Science in Your World" and "Green World Healthy People".
- Board Members - Explorit is seeking new Board members from a diversity of backgrounds and locations. We're particularly interested in new Board members from our wide service areas. Please note that our Board has consistently been comprised on both scientist and highly motivated members from all careers and backgrounds- because science and science education is about all of us!
- In-Kind Donations - Contractor for building upgrade.
- Volunteers - Those interested in program development and grant writing!! We have active volunteer committees that are always seeking new and creative input!
- Volunteers - Weekend during our public hours: Exhibits.
By offering both on-site and traveling programs to elementary school, Explorit has been able to reach many thousands of children and adults who would not have had the opportunity to travel or take time from school. In a typical year, Explorit reaches over 25,000 children and adults which includes 15,000 to 20,000 at schools in a 17 county-wide area. As a scientist, I can see first hand the benefits of this informal yet encouraging style that exposes children to ideas, breaks down perceived barriers to science understanding, and provides a rich and supportive context for understanding science in their everyday lives. Ultimately, we are sparking interest and no doubt leading children to consider STEM careers as well as being informed, thinking citizens. Explorit continues to lead in hands-on, interactive science learning this northern California region as we continue we collaboratively develop programs with the City of Woodland in their planned 160 acre science and nature park."
Dr. Lars Anderson
Explorit Board, Immediate Past President