Davis Community Network
The mission of the Davis Community Network is to strengthen the community by helping people understand and benefit from participation in the electronic information era.
216 F St #109
Davis, CA 95616
|County or Parish:||Yolo County|
DCN is a nonprofit organization that has provided internet-related services and support to the community since 1993. Created and directed by local volunteers, we connect community members and organizations to the power of the internet by hosting and supporting local websites, mailing lists and classes. We provide tools, the training to use those tools, and the infrastructure to support them. DCN was the region's first non-governmental community network, reaching 500 subscribers in its first year. Over the last twenty years we have hosted scores of websites for local nonprofits and community groups. Our current focus is to make a community-owned, high speed fiber network a reality for the City of Davis and the surrounding area.
In addition to the funding needed to further our goals for the community, we are also looking for volunteers. We are looking for more members of the community, particularly those of different ages, ethnicity, and background, who wish to extend their expertise to those parts of the community who need support.
Our top needs:
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - DavisGIG program: ($250,000) Funds are needed for research into the most feasible fast fiber network to support internet access available to all residents and businesses in Davis.
- Funding: Program - Funds are needed for outreach to the community to explain the results and importance of our findings. ($20,000)
- Funding: Other - Funds are needed to improve the data management and fundraising of Davis Community Network. ($35,000)
- Space: Office or Other - Funds are needed for improved office space and access to classroom space for our free community classes. ($24,000)
- Funding: Other - We need to support an executive director of the organization, to help further all our goals and give the organization sustained focus. ($125,000 requested)
'Davis Community Network represents thousands of volunteer hours and has assisted countless local community groups. It remains relevant as a non-commercial force for affordable access to the Internet by all members of our community - a critical goal to improve the local economy and provide all with the opportunity of full participation in the civic life and economy of the City of Davis.' Mike Adams, President, DCN