Chicks in Crisis
Chicks in Crisis reaches out to teens, young women, and current and emancipated foster youth who are pregnant, parenting, or at-risk, helping them to become responsible parents and leaders in our community. We create a foster-free future by helping them make positive choices in a non-judgmental environment. We help to keep these girls and their children off of the streets and out of sex trafficking, and break the cycle of hopelessness and neglect.
9455 East Stockton Blvd
Elk Grove, CA 95624
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
- Ensures that pregnant women and babies get the pre- and post-natal care that they need, including driving them to doctor appointments and assisting them to sign up for Medi-Cal and access other healthcare.
- Increases the number of parenting teens, foster youth, and other at-risk students graduating high school. Last spring, we celebrated 15 young women who have continued to college!
- Helps to keep girls out of sexual exploitation by offering alternatives, positive relationships, baby supplies, and most of all hope.
- Provides counseling to dozens of clients who suffer from traumatic pasts, conducted by a licensed trauma psychologist and graduate student interns.
- Teaches good health and nutrition and gives fresh produce to young parents and other teens, including workshops on healthy food shopping and cooking family meals.
- Maintains family size through education that emphasizes the importance of taking care of the first child before having another.
- Offers workshops for pregnant and parenting youth in nine high schools, the Core Medical Clinic, and with Planned Parenthood's Teen Success program.
- Gives away tens of thousands of diapers, wipes, formula, and other infant/child items each year to young parents, meaning that parents do not have to leave school in order to afford them.
- Builds nurturing relationships with young women and men who often lack family support.
$25 will buy a tank of gas to transport a pregnant young woman to prenatal doctor appointments and a nutritional meal.
$40 will purchase a case of diapers and wipes for a new parent in need.
$50 will provide needed gardening supplies that will give local foster youth the chance to learn about farming and nature at The Ranch.
$100 will buy school supplies for a young mom who is in high school or starting college classes to make a better life for herself and her child.
$250 pays for a Teen Parenting class at a local high school, covering topics such as pregnancy, breastfeeding, nutrition, life skills and more.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - Health care and support for at-risk pregnant teens and young women.
- Funding: Program - Workshops teaching parenting, pregnancy, nutrition, child development, and life skills to pregnant and parenting teens on campus at area high schools and the Ranch.
- Funding: Program - Trauma counseling for women and girls in crisis.
- Volunteers - Assistance with tending our Healing Garden, large vegetable garden, the clothes closet and maintenance at The Ranch.
- In-Kind Donations - Diapers, wipes, and formula - a lifeline for young parents, alleviating pressure to leave school to earn money.