Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Sacramento Area
It starts with a Little. Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Greater Sacramento Area transforms the lives of children facing adversity by helping them succeed and thrive. Our mission is to help children reach their potential through one-to-one relationships with impactful mentors. It is our vision that successful mentoring relationships can be achieved for all children who need and want them, contributing to brighter futures, better schools, and stronger communities.
800 Howe Avenue, Suite 440
Sacramento, CA 95825
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
|Primary NTEE:||Youth Development|
|Sub NTEE:||Big Brother, Big Sisters|
- 90 percent said their relationship with their Big helped them make better choices throughout their childhood
- 76 percent said they learned right from wrong from their Big
- 52 percent were less likely to skip school
- 46 percent were less likely to start using drugs
Your support gives local children the empowerment that only Big Brothers Big Sisters provides. With your help, we can give every child a chance to achieve a bright future.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - Monetary support is needed to sustain our community-based mentoring program. Funding is crucial to fulfilling our mission by allowing our professional, trained staff to carefully screen volunteers and match them in long-term, safe mentoring relationships. Matches are made based on the interests of both the volunteer and child, as well as their goals for the program. Our staff conducts routine check-ins with each volunteer, child and parent, to ensure that the match is working for everyone involved, and ongoing staff-led training helps create matches that are built to last. This agency management ensures that matches remain fulfilling for each volunteer and child, so that each Little can reach his or her highest potential.
- Funding: Program - We are also currently seeking donations in support of two of our specific mentoring programs: Sports Bigs and Bigs with Badges. Sports Bigs connects children who have an interest in playing or watching sports with a Big Brother or Sister who has a similar level of interest in those sports. This provides our Sports Bigs matches with a mutual passion that serves as a strong foundation as they build their mentoring relationship together and learn more about one another. Each month, we host a sports-related activity (such as a kickball tournament or basketball day) for all of our Sports Bigs matches to come out and play, be active, and have fun with one another! For more information about the Bigs with Badges program, please refer to Need 4.
- Volunteers - Our mission would not be possible without the incredible support of our volunteer Big Brothers and Big Sisters. Bigs commit a minimum of one year to building a relationship with their Little, and visit with their Little for a few hours each month. Time together can be as simple as throwing a football or having a conversation. These little moments impact both the child and volunteer in a bigger way than ever imaginable. Our staff ensures that all volunteers feel empowered with the ability to nurture a friendship with their Little while maintaining our high operating standards. Bigs from all walks of life receive instruction on how to handle confidential information while protecting and fostering a relationship of mutual trust with their Littles.
- Other - Please Describe - Additionally, we are in need of community advocates who are in the law enforcement or first response fields. As part of a national initiative created by Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, we are currently celebrating the local launch of Bigs with Badges, a one-to-one mentoring program that connects youth with probation officers to build strong, trusting and lasting relationships. The result of these relationships can impact the lives of at-risk children by fostering strong bonds between law enforcement and the communities they serve. Now more than ever, this program is critical to communities across the nation. Please join our efforts to connect local youth and police in individual mentoring relationships founded on trust and understanding. Your support is crucial to the goals of Bigs with Badges: - Recruit law enforcement officers to volunteer to become Bigs - Raise funds in our community to support Bigs with Badges - Create positive outcomes for local children
- Other - Please Describe - We are always seeking donations of event tickets and activity admissions to provide fun and unique activities that our matches can do together. While the time Bigs and Littles spend together can be as simple as throwing a baseball or helping with homework, our Bigs often seek opportunities to do a fun activity with their Little that the child wouldn't otherwise have the chance to do. Many of our children don't often get to attend sporting events, theater shows or even go bowling, and these events are an incredible opportunity for the match to create new memories together. Our Bigs support our mission in funding all outings with their Little, therefore your donation would help to relieve the costs of these outings and allow the match to focus solely on building their relationship.
As an agency, we are in an exciting time of growth. As we strive toward our goal of serving 275 children this year, we look toward the community for new and inventive ways to further our mission. Together, we can form and foster critical mentoring relationships."
Chief Executive Officer