|Address:||640 Bercut Drive, Suite A |
Sacramento, CA 95811
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
|Primary NTEE:||Youth Development|
|Sub NTEE:||Big Brother, Big Sisters|
The mentors are known as 'big brothers' or 'big sisters', and the children as 'little brothers and sisters' (Bigs and Littles). BBBS conducts thorough screening of all volunteers and assessment of the children and their needs, assets, and their ability to benefit from a mentor. Bigs and littles are matched, based on common interests, preferences, personalities and skills. Once matched, they meet weekly for activities that will enhance the child's self esteem and help to develop his/her life skills. BBBS services are preventative - to help each child develop individual assets and to develop the decision-making and other life skills that will help him succeed in school, refrain from delinquent or other risky behaviors, and to succeed in his/her family or community. Staff strive, through professional coaching and on-going training, to maintain each match for a year or more in order to provide the child with emotional support and guidance as he/she develops through the various stages childhood. While BBBS maintains a professional staff to screen, train, and match the mentors and children, the day-to- day services of the organization are provided by volunteer mentors who are supervised by BBBS staff for as long as the match is active or until the child exits the program. Support staff provide volunteer support, informal counseling for parents/guardians, and consistently monitor the activities of the big/little matches for appropriateness and child safety. This staff support is provided on-site for school-based or site-based programs and through mandatory monthly phone or in-person contacts.
Our top needs:
- Funding: Program - Monetary support is needed to sustain the following programs: Community-based, Site-based, and Sports Bigs.
- Board Members - 6-8 Board Members are needed to ensure growth of agency
- Volunteers - Big Brothers and Big Sistes are needed in Elk Grove, and for our Site=based programs.
- In-Kind Donations - Raffle items for events, office supplies, postage stamps, an tickets to sporting events to give to volunteers.
- Technology - 7 new laptops are needed for staff.
Yours in Service,
Collette Walls, Operations Manager, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Sacramento