Sacramento Shakespeare Festival
The Sacramento Shakespeare Festival brings Shakespeare to life in Sacramento, by Sacramento, and for Sacramento. We believe that watching and understanding Shakespeare makes people's lives better. We believe that making Shakespeare accessible to everyone in Sacramento makes Sacramento better.
3835 Freeport Blvd. William A. Carroll Amphitheatre, William Land Park
Sacramento, CA 95822
|County or Parish:||Sacramento|
The festival is created by local directors and designers, from our college, and from other local colleges and high schools; it is performed by local theatre artists, including students from the college; and it is supported by local businesses. Our High School Interns come from many High Schools in the Sacramento area.
Our performances are intended to be comfortable for and accessible to local audiences. We strive continually to make the seating more comfortable, and to mitigate the heat with fans or the cold with blankets and hot chocolate. We reach out to schools, community centers, parks, other festivals, Gold Rush Days, the Tudor Fayre, and FairyTale Town, in an effort to bring Shakespeare to those who may not be able to come to Land Park. We produce Staged Readings of less performed plays, a Comedy Reading Marathon, actors in costume at Second Saturday, and A Peek Under the Tent to show how we produce some of the magic. Many Sacramentans travel out of town for their Shakespeare, and we would like to provide it for them right here.
Our top needs:
- Board Members - We would like to expand our advisory board to include more members from the community.
- Funding: Unrestricted - We would like to develop a more efficient program to find and keep donors.
- In-Kind Donations - We would like to reach out more often to companies that might want to work with us to provide materials and services in-kind.
- Volunteers - We would like to develop a volunteer organization to help us with ushering.
- Other - Please Describe - We can always use vintage costumes and props.