(Rules are subject to change at any time without notice.)
1. Only 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations that have met all eligibility and registration requirements may participate in Big Day of Giving.
2. The donor is defined as an individual or corporation/business. Organizations are prohibited from donating to themselves. For purposes of awarding prizes, multiple donations from one donor to the same nonprofit will count as one gift.
3. The minimum gift is $15.
4. Forms of payment include MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express. Gifts may be made ahead of time by using the "schedule your gift" feature which will become available starting on April 18. If you would like to make an offline gift to a participating nonprofit, please contact the nonprofit directly.
5. The transaction rate for donations made at bigdayofgiving.org is 5.2%.
6. Donors are encouraged to make gifts to multiple organizations of their choice. Each gift of $15 or more to a different organization will be counted on the leaderboard.
7. Each gift is 100% tax-deductible and irrevocable. All donations will be granted for unrestricted use by the chosen nonprofit organizations.
8. Secure donations for the Big Day of Giving are provided through the technology platform CIVICORE to each donor entering their own credit card information directly on bigdayofgiving.org. Any third party who enters credit card information on behalf of a donor, by their actions of entering any such credit card information on behalf of a donor, has signified their donor's agreement with the Big Day of Giving sponsoring organizations a) to assume all risk of loss and any liability associated with such transaction and b) to indemnify each of the sponsoring organizations of the Big Day of Giving against any and all risk of loss and any liability associated with such transaction.
9. Participating nonprofit organizations are given access in real time to their donor information received at bigdayofgiving.org unless the donor has specified to remain anonymous.
10. Each nonprofit will receive one (1) check totaling all donation(s), minus the 5.2% transaction fee, plus any prize or company matching dollars, no later than June 30th, 2017.
Big Day of Giving Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Big Day of Giving a good opportunity for our community?
The nonprofit sector is the heart and soul of the region, enriching our community in immeasurable ways. Our four-county region includes many incredible organizations that are doing extraordinary things. The Big Day of Giving is a unique opportunity for the public to learn about their work, how they are contributing to our community and their chance to say thank you for making a donation. Big Day of Giving is a time-limited donation period designed to expand and increase giving to local nonprofits that provide vital services that help to sustain our community. Since 2013, our region has shown tremendous support raising over $23 million. On May 3, 2018, we are confident that our community will rally and once again prove its generous spirit!
Who can participate?
The registration process begins 8 months prior to Big Day of Giving. Nonprofit organizations must complete a series of requirements with deadlines to participate. A full list of eligibility and requirements for participation can be found here.
This event is open to the public. Anyone who wishes to participate will be able to make a secure donation by debit or credit card on www.bigdayofgiving.org.
Where is Big Day of Giving taking place?
Big Day of Giving is an online event where most of the activity will take place via our Big Day of Giving website. News and updates will be posted regularly to social media sites. Within the time frame of the event, credit card donations may be made at your convenience via the Big Day of Giving donation website. Many participating organizations will be holding events. To find an event, visit the events page.
How does it work?
Any individual or business may donate. All donations must be made via debit or credit card through the Big Day of Giving website. If you would like to give by other means, please contact the nonprofit directly. NOTE: If you have a fund at the Sacramento Region Community Foundation or the Yolo Community Foundation, you may make a grant through your fund. Please contact your Community Foundation for more details.
- All donations are tax-deductible and irrevocable (donations will not be refunded) and will be for the unrestricted use of your chosen nonprofit organization.
- Minimum gift: $15
- Some nonprofits may also have matching funds available! Check the nonprofit's donation page to see if your gift can be matched.
What are Prize Challenges?
Challenges are a fun way for organizations to compete for a chance to win additional dollars. By making a donation with your credit card to an organization on May 3rd, you help nonprofits compete for these prizes. For a full list of challenges and prize rules, visit the Prizes page.
Will I receive a receipt?
Yes! You will automatically receive an on-screen acknowledgment and an e-mailed receipt for your 100% tax-deductible donation.
What methods of payment are accepted?
Credit card donations using Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express will be accepted on Big Day of Giving website through bigdayofgiving.org.
I'm having trouble accessing the website. Is it my browser?
It might be! Bigdayofgiving.org can be accessed using one of the following browsers: Safari, Chrome, Firefox, IE11, iPhone/iPad IOS 7+ and Android. If you use Internet Explorer, please make sure you are using a version that is 10 or higher.
Can I give to multiple organizations?
Yes, select organizations and add them to your "donation cart." You can add as many donations as you'd like and enter your credit card information once. Simply click the "add more nonprofits" button! When you're finished adding donations, click "checkout" and enter your credit card information once.
Should I create an account or check out as a "guest"?
By creating an account, you will be able to access your giving history or resend a receipt all year-round! During Big Day of Giving, you may bypass this section, but we encourage you to take advantage of this feature!
I scheduled a donation before May 3rd. When will my credit card be charged?
Thank you for scheduling a donation! Scheduled donations will process on May 3rd during the first few hours of the event. Once your scheduled gift is processed, you will receive an emailed tax receipt. If you need to edit or remove your scheduled gift, you may do so by using your login information that you created when scheduling your gift.
What does the "Reviewed by Community Foundation" icon on the profiles mean?
When an organization completes a profile, the information is reviewed for accuracy by the foundation. If a profile shows a "reviewed" icon, it means that it has passed our review process and the information is current. Nonprofits are required to update their profiles annually in order to keep their "reviewed" status.
The reviewed icon is not an endorsement or accreditation of a nonprofit. Big Day of Giving and the Sacramento Region Community Foundation cannot guarantee the accuracy of data provided by the nonprofit or guarantee they are in compliance with all state and federal requirements. However, we seek to include the most accurate data available through document verification and a due diligence process to verify their exempt status as a 501 c3 nonprofit organization.