Woodland Opera House
The Woodland Opera House has enjoyed continued success in its mission to preserve and operate this historical, community treasure for the benefit of the area and to nurture performing arts. Our Theatre for Families and Education Program is dedicated to providing young people, their families, and the community with a quality performing arts experience that encourages young performers to develop confidence, creativity, and cooperation.
2017-18 MAIN STAGE SEASON
My Fair Lady (August 4 - 27, 2017)
Blithe Spirit (October 13 - November 5, 2017)
It's a Wonderful Life (November 24 - December 17, 2017)
A Midsummer Night's Dream (February 9- March 4, 2018)
Hairspray (April 20- May 13, 2018)
- Season Ticket Package sales have increased
- Productions have earned Elly Award Nominations and Awards
- Participation by volunteer actors and technicians has increased
2017-18 THEATRE FOR FAMILIES SERIES
Anne of Green Gables (September 15 - 24, 2017)
James and the Giant Peach (January 12 - 21 2018)
The Emperor's New Clothes (March 23 - 31 2018)
- Theatre for Families Season Ticket sales have increased
- Theatre for Families productions have earned Elly Award nominations including Best Overall Production and eight other awards for 'Peter Pan'
- Numbers of children attending auditions for Theatre for Families productions and children participating has increased
- Due to the growth of our Education Program the City Council allocated Measure E funds to help renovate a vacant downtown building into a state-of-the-art Theatre and Dance Education studio which was completed in August of 2016, The TADA Studio now houses over 45 classes for ages 3-adult
An annual program designed to be an introduction to musical theatre performance for area youth ages 5-16 with or without previous training or experience. Students spend four weeks studying musical theatre technique including singing, dancing, characterization, theatre terminology, and theatre etiquette and professionalism. Students will develop performance skills and will be given an equal opportunity to shine on stage. The camp will culminate with four performances of a Broadway-style musical revue.
- Show Biz Kidz has experienced success over the past 21 years with enrollment increasing from 15 students in our first year to over 80 students last summer
The Woodland Opera House provides Three Theatre for Families productions (2017-18 - Anne of Green Gables, James and the Giant Peach and The Emperor's New Clothes); two Rising Stars Productions (Honk, Jr and James and the Giant Peach, Jr.) and one Main Stage production (A Midsummer Night's Dream) and one guest artist (Kenn Adams Adventure Theatre) for School Outreach field trip performances. These performances are made available to our local schools at reduced ticket prices. Curriculum guides for teachers are provided.
- Each year our School Outreach Performances are sold-out
The Woodland Opera House offers classes in acting, musical theatre, ballet, tap, jazz, and hip hop dance to ages 3-adult. Our theatre classes engage the imagination as well as enhance personal communication, critical thinking, teamwork, and collaboration skills. The program is composed of two, eight week sessions. Each session is focused on a different and integrated course of study. Our Dance Program runs September through May and emphasizes technique using an age-appropriate curriculum. The discipline, artistry, and technique acquired through the study of dance enhances self confidence, focus, and poise. The mission of our Education Program is to inspire creativity in the hearts and minds of our youth through the learning and experiencing of live dramatic art.
- Students in our Education Program have advanced from class work to workshop performances and finally to leading roles in our Main Stage, Theatre for Families productions as well as leading roles in regional theatres including Sacramento Theatre Company and Music Circus