Provide vouchers for affordable spay/neuter surgeries for cats and dogs belonging to income-qualified families in Sacramento and Yolo Counties.
- This program has provided more than 4,600 low-cost spay/neuter surgeries in the last three fiscal years alone.
- After putting our application system online in 2010, we have been able to quadruple the number of vouchers we can issue.
- We have also partnered with Sacramento County and the cities of Elk Grove and Citrus Heights to provide low-cost spay/neuter to their citizens through our program.
- These surgeries could prevent thousands of unwanted puppies and kittens from being born and ending up in our already overwhelmed animal shelters.
- There is a great demand for low-cost spay/neuter in Sacramento County.
- Very few low-cost programs exist, and those that do are significantly more expensive than our Voucher Program, for which pet owners pay only $10 per cat and $15 per dog.
- We have the infrastructure, volunteer corps, and vet clinic support in place to issue thousands of vouchers. But we need more funding to fully meet the public demand.
Provide coupons for low-cost spay/neuter to feral colony caregivers in Sacramento and Yolo Counties.
- In the last three years we have provided more than 2,000 coupons for altering feral cats.
- These coupons help 'colony managers' - people who are working to trap, alter, and return (TNR) the cats roaming free in their communities.
- The TNR method has proven to be the most effective way to manage populations of free-roaming cats.
One of the largest one-day spay/neuter events in the United States, Spay Day provides income-qualified families with pet care services they would be unable to afford at typical prices: spay or neuter surgery, microchip identification, and core vaccinations, all for just $15 per cat and $20 per dog. This represents a 90% savings from what these services typically cost.
- Since 2000, we have provided nearly 10,000 low-cost surgeries on Spay Day (as of 2016).
- Many Spay Day clients tell us they would not be able to afford to alter their pets without this program.
- All of the Sacramento and Yolo County animal shelters participate in Spay Day, offering surgeries at their facilities.
- This illustrates that Spay Day is an important community event recognized as being integral to reducing overpopulation of dogs and cats in the Sacramento region.